OK, this is trouble…a serious love affair with um – hazelnuts. Their deep, dark, rich flavor blends tantalizingly with chocolate. Pure hazelnut butter, toasted hazelnuts, and hazelnut meal put these Paleo brownies right over the top as the fudgiest and chewiest I’ve ever tasted. They’re free of gluten, grains, dairy, sugar. And even better – they’re super-easy to make. If you use the chicory root sweetener suggested, they’ll give your blood sugar a break, making them a true guilt-free indulgence with no sacrifice in flavor. If you don’t have hazelnuts, just substitute almonds, almond butter, and almond meal – they’ll turn out perfect, and you can call them “Almond Butter Brownies”. Store bars for 5 days in the refrigerator. Or freeze up to 3 months for a healthy snack whenever your chocoholic meter flares up. This recipe makes a 9 x 9-inch square pan, or about 20 healthy brownies depending how you cut them.
- 2/3 cup thick coconut milk
- Up to 2 cups sweetener to taste such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener. I used half white and half brown Just Like Sugar. Or use 1 1/2 cups raw honey, or your favorite sweetener. (If you use honey, reduce coconut milk to 1/3 cup.)
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup roasted hazelnut butter
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup hazelnut meal (100 grams) I used Bob's Red Mill.
- 1/2 cup pure cacao powder, or cocoa unsweetened
- 1 1/2 cups toasted hazelnuts, chopped.(See All About Nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper so it hangs over two sides like handles.
- In a mixing bowl or food processor, add the wet ingredients: coconut milk, sweetener, eggs, nut butter, vanilla, coconut oil, and salt. Mix well. Add the hazelnut meal and cacao powder. Mix well again. Pulse or mix in the chopped hazelnuts briefly.
- Pour batter into lined pan and bake 20 - 26 minutes, until a toothpick barely comes out almost clean. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and allow to cool 30 minutes. These are easier to cut into squares after chilling, but alas, they may be gone by then. Go ahead and enjoy!