My love affair with rhubarb continues! Rhubarb’s tantalizing tartness blends warmly with apples, cinnamon, and fresh ginger. This yummy treat is refreshing and so easy to make without gluten, grains, flour, dairy, or sugar. I used tart apples like Fuji, Granny Smith, and Pink Lady to keep the glycemic level low. This recipe won’t spike your blood sugar or cause weight gain, if you use one of the the suggested zero-carb sweeteners. I served it warm with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream on top. This crisp keeps well for 4 days in the fridge, or freeze it for a rainy day in a BPA-free container for up to 3 months. For more healthy rhubarb treats, see my Strawberry Rhubarb Cream Tart, Paleo Rhubarb Coffeecake, Yogurt with Rhubarb Ginger Sauce, or Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler in a Cup. Makes one 9-inch square pan. Serves 6.
Slice the rhubarb lengthwise, and then crosswise.
Press into a greased 9-inch square pan (this is 8 x 11 – the same).
Cover with Streusel topping. Bake until bubbling inside and crispy on top.
Enjoy it warm with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream on top!
- 5 branches rhubarb (about 390 grams after trimming)
- 5 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, Fuji, or Pink Lady, including the peels
- Sweeten to taste with 6 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 tablespoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/4 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 inches fresh ginger, diced or grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sweetener used above or equivalent
- 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts, soaked and toasted if possible (See All About Nuts)
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (place oil in a small bowl in the oven for a few minutes)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease a 9 x 9-inch pan with coconut oil.
- Slice the rhubarb lengthwise and crosswise. Put in a large mixing bowl.
- Core the apples and slice very thin about 1/8 inch thick (including the peels - they’re loaded with phytonutrients), and place the sliced apples in the mixing bowl. Stir in sweetener, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and lemon juice.
- Put the entire mixture into the baking dish and press it down with a spatula. Place in the oven and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile stir together all the Streusel ingredients in a medium bowl.
- After the apple mixture has baked for 15 minutes, remove from the oven briefly, and sprinkle streusel topping over everything. Press it in gently, and put it back in the oven before it gets cold.
- Bake another 30 minutes, or until the filling is boiling, and the streusel is crispy light brown.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream. Heavenly!