I just discovered a super-easy way to make delicious vegan cheese sauce for broccoli. It’s so tasty and quick, I ate the whole batch myself! Broccoli is an important source of calcium for folks that don’t consume dairy, like Paleo and vegans. Instead of cheese, the recipe uses coconut milk, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. This is yummy for lunch or as a side dish. You can choose to eat the broccoli stems or not. I love broccoli stems, and they’re chock full of healthy nutrients like Vitamin-C, Vitamin-A, beta-carotene, folic acid, and fiber. Broccoli is best steamed to retain nutrients. This sauce is wonderful on cauliflower too! As a vegetable side dish it serves 4. Makes 1 1/4 cups sauce.
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I used Organic Thai Kitchen in a can) Almond milk will work too.
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast, for a cheese flavor
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 3/8 teaspoon salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder to thicken (if your milk is thin, use 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely grated, preferably micro-planed, for a gorgeous cheddar cheese color!
- Pinch turmeric (optional, for yellow color)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup filtered water to steam broccoli
- 1 bunch broccolini or broccoli, cut into buds, with or without stems
- In a small blender, add the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, arrowroot, grated carrot, and optional turmeric and nutmeg. Blend well until it's a smooth, creamy texture, a yellow color, and the carrot is liquefied. You could also do this with an immersion blender in a large glass measuring cup or small pan.
- Add the coconut oil last and blend well. Pour the mixture into a small pan on the stove over low heat. Warm it slowly while stirring. When it begins to bubble, the arrowroot will thicken into a creamy sauce. Bring to a gentle boil while stirring, and then turn the heat way down. Do not over-boil, or the coconut oil may separate. Keep warm.
- Put 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan. Using a steamer, place trimmed broccoli inside. Bring the water to a boil, and then turn down to a low simmer for a few minutes. Taste the broccoli every minute or so, until it's "al dente" just right to eat. Do not overcook or it will be mushy. Put the steamed broccoli on a serving plate.
- Pour Vegan Cheese Sauce over the broccoli and serve!