With only 5 ingredients, this nourishing potage is ready in a snap. All you need is asparagus and an immersion blender! Use your favorite milk, such as coconut, almond, cashew milk. Yep. Or even real milk. Today I used Edward & Sons coconut milk powder dry-stirred into the soup, and it was fabulicious. Check it out! Found in any healthy grocery, this versatile coconut milk powder adds vegan richness to many dishes.
Asparagus is rich in folic acid, or vitamin B9 needed to synthesize DNA, produce healthy stem cells, support nerve and immune functions. Asparagus also contains large amounts of Vitamin K, which plays an important role in bone density, reduces the risk of fractures, heart health, blood clotting, brain function, metabolism and protects against cancer. Asparagus is said to help to regulate blood sugar levels, promote beautiful skin, alleviate PMS, improve fertility, cure hangovers and improve eyesight. And it makes your pee smell funny. Try this easy soup! Serves 2.
- 2 cups broth or filtered water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound green asparagus
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt, and some black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry coconut milk powder, or 1/3 cup alternative milk, or real milk.
- Optional additions: 1-2 cloves garlic, dry or fresh herbs such as parsley, dill, basil, sage, or tarragon.
- In a medium saucepan, boil the onion in the broth or water for about 2 minutes.
- Cut the asparagus tips 1 1/2 inches long and set aside. Cut the asparagus stalks into 1/2-inch pieces and add them to the pot along with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and turn heat down to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until as smooth as desired. Stir in the coconut milk powder (or alternative milk) and asparagus tips. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Serve and enjoy!