An accidental discovery, this is now my absolute favorite “cheese” for Pizza. We DO want cheese on our pizza! It slices beautifully, and uses pure coconut instead of dairy. It has a milder flavor than Vegan Cheddar Cheese and Paleo Parmesan Cheese. Easy to blend, it’s not quite an exact duplicate of the mozzarella taste. However it’s so close to the traditional flavor that when you serve it, the surprise factor takes over, and no one can believe it’s not cheese. This recipe is free of soy, GMO’s, stabilizers, chemicals, and thickeners like many “Vegan” cheeses. You’ll need a good blender and a bit of patience, but the reward is definitely worth it!. I suggest you make this cheese ahead and keep it in the refrigerator or freezer. Then when you need a slice or a slab, you can just slice it off. Use this recipe for Paleo Pizza or Paleo Pizza with BBQ Chicken, appetizers, or snacks. Makes about 2 cups of vegan mozarella cheese.
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, thick (or 1/4 cup if thin.)
- 1 cup coconut butter, softened (put the jar in a bowl of warm water)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin-C crystals, optional, for a sharper cheese flavor.
- 1 clove fresh crushed garlic, optional. (Try it, it's amazing!)
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted (put the jar in a bowl of lukewarm water)
- A few tablespoons of olive oil if needed for blending
- In any style blender, add lemon juice, coconut milk, coconut butter, nutritional yeast, salt, Vitamin C crystals, and optional garlic. Blend well.
- Add melted coconut oil last and blend briefly until smooth.
- Pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze. If you use a flat sandwich size container, it will freeze in 1 hour. Remove from freezer and allow to warm for 2-5 minutes. Then slice into 1/8-inch slices and put on a plate in a cool place so it doesn't melt.