My doctor requested an easy, healthy dark chocolate fudge. Well, here it is, luscious and so quick to make! If you’re eating 75% chocolate thinking it’s healthy, don’t kid yourself. The remaining 25% is probably sugar, definitely not healthy. Pure 100% chocolate is a superfood, one of the healthiest, highest-anti-oxidant foods on the planet, even higher than blueberries. But when it is sweetened with any glycemic sugar, you’re eating a toxic metabolic scrambler with your superfood, and what good is that? Here’s a super-easy dark chocolate fudge that will lift your spirits, satisfy the most discerning taste buds, and won’t raise your blood sugar one bit. That’s because it’s sweetened with natural non-glycemic sweetener. Buy these sweeteners online and you’ll be happier and healthier. This recipe makes one 8 or 9-inch square pan, or about 64 pieces, depending on how you cut them.
- 1 4-oz bar unsweetened baking chocolate, such as Ghirardelli 100% Cacao
- 3 tablespoons organic butter, ghee, or red palm oil
- 2/3 cup thick unsweetened coconut milk from the top of the can, such as Native Forest organic Full-fat coconut milk
- 2 1/4 cups sweetener to taste such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 5 1/2 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson.
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coffee powder such as Mt. Hagen organic decaf coffee
- 1/4 cup your favorite protein powder (optional)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds, soaked and toasted if possible (See All About Nuts)
- Line an 8x8 or 9x9 pan on all sides with parchment paper.
- In a medium to large non-stick pan over very low heat, slowly melt the chocolate and oil together.
- Meanwhile in a food processor, add the coconut milk, sweetener, salt, vanilla, and coffee powder. Mix well until liquefied and the sweetener crystals are completely dissolved.
- Add protein powder if using, and mix again. If necessary, add a few tablespoons coconut milk so processor can turn and powder dissolves.
- When the chocolate is melted, add the milk mixture into it and stir well. Turn off the heat, stir in the almonds. Pour the gooey mixture into prepared pan and chill 3 hours.
- Cut into squares and serve! You can also freeze it with parchment paper between the layers. Makes a great snack!