These are super-easy, a Paleo version of that decadent old-fashioned macaroon made with evaporated milk and tons of sugar. But these are free of flour, gluten, grains, sugar and dairy. I made the Mexican Chocolate Macaroon variation below – it’s a spicy twist on the traditional treat. If you use one of the zero-glycemic natural sweeteners suggested, they’ll also be super-low in the carbs that cause weight gain. I used half Just like Sugar Table Top and half Just Like Sugar Brown – natural chicory root sweetener. Makes about 36 cookies.
- 1/2 cup medium to thick coconut milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted but not hot
- 1 1/2 cups sweetener to taste such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1/4 cup PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 2 1/2 cups medium shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the coconut milk, egg, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder, oil, and sweetener to taste. Mix until smooth and creamy. Add the shredded coconut and mix with a spatula until well combined.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of the batter onto the baking sheet about 1 inch apart so they're tightly packed, and pleasantly irregular. They will not spread.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until the tops of macaroons are dry.
- Add to chocolate mixture: 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Mr. Hagen organic decaffeinated coffee crystals, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder.
“Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world’s perfect food.” ~ Michael Levine, The Emperors of Chocolate