I know, you’re supposed to cool this moist and flavorful bread before slicing. But I like to enjoy it while it’s hot, even if it falls apart – it just tastes better! Sweet Potato Bread is super-easy and delicious. So full of real food goodness, it doesn’t need anything spread on it. It tastes fantastic warm for breakfast, snack, or dessert. The recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, and Paleo. You don’t need much sweetener, if any, with natural sweetness in sweet potato. I’m offering a new sweetener option called PureLo, by Swanson Vitamins. It’s a natural sweetener made from Monk Fruit and is zero glycemic with zero calories, to give your blood sugar a break. (This is a REAL find!) PureLo is about 6x sweeter than sugar, so I used just half of the normal amount, and it was delicious. A food processor is needed to grind the shredded coconut. Yield: Three 4.5 x 2.5-inch mini loaves; two 7 x 3-inch loaves; one 9 x 5-inch loaf; or a 9-inch square pan ? Equipment: A food processor is helpful but not required. A digital scale is helpful to weigh the sweet potato.
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- Coconut butter 151 grams if hard or 2/3 cup if soft. (If mixing by hand, soften it by placing the container in a bowl of hot water)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature (See The Best Eggs are Pasture-raised Organic)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavor
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger root, diced, or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup (about 200 grams) sweet potato
- Sweeten to taste with about 3/4 cup Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/2 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (See All About Nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking pans with parchment paper that hangs over the edges like handles.
- In a mixing bowl or food processor, add almond meal, baking soda, salt, and spice. Mix well. Add the coconut butter, and mix well again. To the mixture, add the eggs, zest, vanilla, maple, vinegar, ginger, sweet potato, and sweetener and process until smooth.
- Pulse in the pecans briefly and pour the batter into the baking pan.
- Bake mini loaves 20 to 22 minutes, 7 x 3-inch pans 35 to 45 minutes, 9 x 5-inch pan 40 to 50 minutes, 9-inch square pan 25 to 35 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 1 hour. Chill 1 hour for easy slicing.