Authentic Egg Drop Soup is hard to find. It’s often full of gluten, MSG, preservatives, GMO soy and cornstarch. How healthy is that? Here’s a delicious traditional Chinese recipe that you can make in minutes, with all natural (and Paleo) ingredients. Make it Vegan, or add chicken or shrimp. Traditional optional ingredients are peas, chard, and seaweed. Hijiki or Wakame seaweeds are my favorites, as they add rich flavor and nutrition. Old-fashioned, homemade stock is best, however any broth will work. Whether it’s for an appetizer, lunch or dinner, this is a satisfying meal I can enjoy in 10 minutes flat. Serves 4.
- 1 tablespoon dried hijiki or wakame seaweed, soaked 5 minutes in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, stirred into 1/4 cup cold filtered water or broth.
- 1 1/4 cups of any mushrooms, thinly sliced (button, crimini, straw, enoki, shitaki or maitake)
- 4 cups of filtered water, organic vegetable broth or chicken broth.
- 1 cube organic bouillon -optional
- 1/2 cup raw chicken, diced in 1/2-inch pieces - optional
- 1/2 cup carrot – cut into pea-sized cubes
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- Salt and pepper to taste- it takes quite a lot of salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted carob powder –optional for darker color (it doesn’t change the taste)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh chives - optional
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Get out 3 small bowls. In #1, soak seaweed in filtered water. In #2 stir arrowroot into water. In #3, whisk eggs together briskly.
- In a quart saucepan, sauté the mushrooms in 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat about 1 minute until slightly soft.
- Add stock or water to the pan. Add optional raw chicken and bring to a boil. Then turn down to a slowly bubbling simmer for 3 minutes. While it is cooking add the ginger, salt & pepper, and carob powder.
- Add bowl #1 seaweed to the soup. Then add bowl #2 arrowroot to the soup, stirring well to thicken.
- Remove the pan from heat. Add sesame oil.
- While stirring the soup in a circular motion, add the whisked eggs and stir just once. They will turn into delicate ribbons.
- Pour immediately into serving bowls . Garnish with diced chives or green onion.