Tomorrow is moving day, and I promised my helpers a lunch. I’ve got 2 beets, 2 carrots, and some herbs in the fridge. Well, I guess it’s time for my favorite grated beet & carrot salad! This is a super-healthy side dish that’s economical and tastes delicious with everything. It’s easiest to make if you have a food processor with a grating blade. Just grate the beets and carrots, make a dressing and mix. I’m excited because I’m moving into a new place to set up a test kitchen for my upcoming book on Paleo Breakfasts! Stay tuned for more info on that. The salad serves 6.
- 2 large beets, grated
- 2 large carrots, grated
- Large handful cilantro or parsley, diced
- 1 clove garlic (crushed if mixing by hand)
- 1 lemon or 2 limes peeled, seeded, and sliced (Or juice of same)
- 1/3 cup olive oil or 1/4 cup olive oil & 2 tablespoons flax oil (Making sure we get our Omega-3's!)
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 2 tablespoons sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1 1/2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.Sweeten to taste as needed depending on the natural sweetness of your beets and carrots.
- 2-3 tablespoons unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Large handful fresh herbs, such as basil, parsley or cilantro
- A bed of greens is optional
- In a medium mixing bowl, add grated beets, carrots and diced herbs.
- Make the dressing. Add garlic, lemon or lime, oil, salt, sweetener, I like to blend the dressing to micronize the lemon pulp and garlic - this saves time juicing the lemon. Or you can mix it together in a bowl using lemon juice and crushed garlic.
- Pour the dressing over the beet mixture and mix.
- Serve on a bed of greens if you like. I used baby spinach. Enjoy.