I’m so excited about this new discovery! Easy Vegan Mayonnaise that’s smooth, delicious, and healthy too! Slather it on sandwiches or wraps. Use it a dip, a salad dressing, or a sauce for veggies. I wanted a creamy homemade mayo that’s ready in minutes, with no risk of curdling in the blender, no worries about eggs spoiling, and no sugary store-bought mayo with gmo oils. Just pure and healthy with a smooth, spreadable texture. This mayo doesn’t taste exactly like Hellman’s. It has that rich and subtle flavor of – well, hemp. I discovered the recipe by accident when making hemp butter, and the seeds softened into a beautiful smooth cream. It tasted yummy, so I added lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and a few other ingredients and Voila! Hemp Mayo in a flash! You’ll need a food processor or a high-speed blender such as the BlendTec or the VitaMix with the small container to get a smooth texture. It took about 2 minutes in my food processor, and 30 seconds in the BlendTec Twister. Try it!
Hemp is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. It’s approximately 35% protein, of the kind that’s easily digested, and contains all the amino acids. This makes it an ideal high protein food for vegans. The recipe is Paleo, Vegan, Gluten-free, raw, low carb, and good for most every body. Hemp oils are delicate and can become unstable at high temperatures. So keep it in the refrigerator for up to one week, and do not cook with it. Yield: 1 cup mayo.
For exciting flavors, try the variations below: Garlic, Wasabi, Basil Pesto, Rosemary, Parsley or Cilantro, Bacon, Chipotle, Curry, Guacamole, and Onion Dip. WOW!
- 3/4 cup Hemp nuts (hemp hearts)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut or almond milk, or filtered water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons live apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- Garlic Mayo: Add 1 large clove garlic, cut in chunks.
- Wasabi: Add 1 teaspoon wasabi powder or 2 teaspoons wasabi paste.
- Basil Pesto: Add a handful chopped basil and 1 clove chopped garlic.
- Rosemary: Add 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary leaves, a bit of lemon zest, more black pepper, and a clove of chopped garlic.
- Parsley or Cilantro: Add a handful of it chopped.
- Bacon: Fry 3 strips of natural, nitrate-free bacon until crisp, and dice it. Allow the fat to cool a bit. Then add both bacon and fat to the processor.
- Chipotle: Add a pinch of pure chipotle powder, and 1/4 teaspoon cumin.
- Curry: Add 1/2 teaspoon curry powder. Try Night-shade free curry powder!
- Guacamole: Add 1 avocado, 1 clove garlic, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder.
- Onion Dip: Add 2 tablespoons dry onion flakes and 1 teaspoon liquid coconut aminos.
- Put hemp nuts in a food processor or high-speed-blender small container. Grind hemp nuts until they become a smooth paste. In my food processor this took about 2 minutes. In the BlendTek it was about 30 seconds.
- Add the other ingredients: milk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, sweetener, salt. Process until smooth and creamy. This is your basic mayo.
- Taste it and add optional flavor variations until you LOVE IT! Pour into a serving bowl. Keep refrigerated up to a week. Enjoy!