This is a rich, full-bodied Mediterranean-style bread with amazing flavor – you can taste the olive oil and black pepper in every savory bite. Gluten-free and Paleo, it’s made with high-protein almond meal, chia seeds, and egg. It tastes scrumptious with my Vegan Butter, my Veggie Pesto Purree, or you can just keep it simple and dip it in olive oil. This bread slices and keeps well. I suggest slicing and freezing with parchment paper between each slice, so you can pull one out and toast it for a super-quick breakfast or snack. A food processor is helpful but not required. Makes one 9 x 5 loaf of bread.
- 6 large eggs (330 grams out of the shell)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds, preferably white for a light colored bread
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal, blanched
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dry dill weed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add the wet ingredients and mix. Let them sit for 15 minutes while the chia seeds expand.
- To the mixture in the food processor, add the dry ingredients: almond meal, soda, salt, pepper, rosemary and dill. Mix briefly. The batter will be the consistency of thick cooked oatmeal.
- Quickly pour into your pan and bake for 45 minutes or so, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool. This slices easier when chilled.