Homemade mayonnaise is way better than store-bought. It contains real lemon juice, healthy oils, and tastes great in salads or dips. This is also a vegan mayonnaise recipe and a Paleo mayo, made without soy or eggs. So it’s perfect for picnics and packed lunches, as it can sit out of the refrigerator all day with no worries. And it’s instant so you can use it immediately. This healthy mayonnaise is made from olive oil and coconut oil, which gives a beautiful thick texture. It is deliciously smooth in chicken salad, egg salad, or on crackers. You’ll want to spread it on everything! Oh, and check out my easy Green Mayo, Egg-free with garlic and herbs. And don’t miss my quick and awesome Cashew Mayo! Store homemade mayo in the refrigerator for 7 days. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Note: Coconut oil is highly temperature sensitive. This creamy egg-free mayo works only in cold dishes that are cooler than room temperature (68 – 70°F). I do not recommend this recipe for a warm summer day, or for use with warm foods. Coconut oil melts at 78 °F, so above that temperature, you’ll have liquid mayo. If you’re using palm oil, it is more stable at warm temperatures, and will work ok up to about 90° F.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons live apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- Sweeten to taste with about 3 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1/2 tablespoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 1/4 teaspoons unprocessed salt
- 1/2 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or palm oil at room temperature
- In a food processor, mix lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, sweetener, and salt.
- While mixing, add the olive oil slowly through the hole in the top.
- Open the food processor and add the solid coconut or palm oil. Mix until smooth and creamy. Process as briefly as possible to keep the mixture from heating up. Then it will be thick enough to use immediately.
- Pour into a bowl or jar. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator up to one week.