Just Like Sugar Table Top is my favorite natural sweetener, made from chicory root. It is a zero-calorie, zero-carb granulated sweetener that you can enjoy with no blood sugar rush or insulin response. After testing hundreds of sweeteners I use this because it dissolves easily, it tastes delicious and is easy to measure cup for cup—like table sugar. It gently sweetens everything, and I get no glycemic rush or aftertaste from it. The Table Top version gives the best sweet flavor and texture in desserts. It is also great for coffee or tea. I am not paid or endorsed by Just Like Sugar in any way – I just love their product. The easiest and cheapest source is VitaCost, and they offer free shipping on orders over $25.
Just Like Sugar Table Top is a blend of crystal chicory root that is 96% dietary fiber, mixed with calcium and vitamin C. Its sweetness comes from orange peel. Chicory root is high in sweet carbohydrate dietary fiber called inulin (IN-you-lin) not to be confused with insulin. Because of the structure of the inulin molecule, it is not digested in the human body, and does not metabolize as a carbohydrate. This means effectively that although it tastes sweet, it does not affect blood sugar levels, and it does not cause weight gain.
The health benefits of Just Like Sugar are unique among sweeteners:
1. Just Like Sugar is high in chicory root dietary fiber. Clinical research shows that a diet high in dietary fiber greatly benefits digestive functions.
2. Nutritional facts per the manufacturer’s label: A 100 gram serving contains 0 calories, 0 Sugar, 0 Fat, 0 Cholesterol, 0 Sodium, 0 Net Impact Carbohydrates and 0 Protein.
3. Just Like Sugar is not fermentable and will not promote tooth decay.
4. Just Like Sugar acts as a prebiotic in the body, meaning it helps to stimulate the growth and activity of healthy digestive bacteria.
5. Chicory root is often used to control blood sugar levels. It can be used to help stabilize the body blood sugar levels for diabetics and non diabetics alike
6. It is gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free and vegan safe. It does not contain soy, yeast, animal derivatives or preservatives.
You may experiment with other sweeteners in my recipes. Do this at your own risk of course. However I can tell you that any sweetener measured cup for cup like sugar should work just fine. You might miss out on the low-carb benefits of chicory root, but you’ll have a delicious dessert.
The easiest and cheapest source is VitaCost, and they offer free shipping on orders over $25. Or buy it online from JustLikeSugarInc.com, Netrition.com, or Amazon.com, etc. Make sure you ask for the Table Top version in the one-pound green bag for my recipes, not the Baking, because it is measured differently. I love Just Like Sugar and I think you will too. Click below to order it.
Note: The sweeteners I recommend are suitable for the vast majority of people, including most people with gluten intolerance, celiac disease and diabetes. However every person’s digestion is unique, therefore they may not be suitable for everyone. A few people suffering from IBS may not tolerate chicory root fiber. Before starting any new diet, please check with your medical practitioner.