Today I needed a refreshing bite of lemon & ginger to balance a hot, muggy day. These bars have a zingy citrus flavor, plus they’re raw and alive with powerful anti-oxidant lemon nutrition. In Chinese medicine lemon is cooling — yes I get it. And ginger moves Qi, the vital force in the body — well, I definitely needed that. Super-easy to make, you don’t need any equipment for this recipe, although a food processor is a wee bit quicker. There’s no need to bake these bars, as high-protein, Omega-3 chia seeds hold them together. White chia seeds will give them a light color. Black chia seeds will make them dark, but they’ll tastes just as good. Keep these bars chilled, especially on a warm summer day, or the coconut butter may melt and they’ll become too soft. Sweeten to your own taste. I find people’s taste buds vary a LOT. I thought these bars would be too sour, and they’d make my mouth pucker up – but the lower sweetness level was rather nice. So you can decide for yourself, and feel free to add more sweetener if you like. Store in the refrigerator about 5 days, or up to 3 months in the freezer. Makes about 70 1-inch bars.
- Coconut butter, 1 cup if soft, or 227 grams if hard. (If mixing by hand, soften it by putting the container in a bowl of warm water.)
- 60 grams fresh ginger root diced, c. 3 inches. (If mixing by hand, grated)
- Zest of 2 lemons (preferably Meyer’s if available)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons white chia seeds, ground
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sweeten to taste. I suggest a minimum amount of 1/2 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 4 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/3 cup raw honey. (I prefer the first 2 that are zero-glycemic and won't raise blood sugar, however any sweetener works.)
- 2 teaspoons unrefined red palm oil (optional) for a lemon yellow color
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut (add this last)
- Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper that hangs over 2 sides like handles.
- In a food processor or mixing bowl, add the coconut butter and ginger root. Mix well to a smooth paste.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except shredded coconut: lemon zest, lemon juice, chia seeds, coconut oil, vanilla, and sweetener. Add red palm oil if using. Taste the mixture, add more sweetener if needed, and mix well.
- Pulse in the shredded coconut last, and very briefly so it remains chunky.
- Spread the mixture into your pan and press flat. Chill 2 hours. Remove the whole sheet of bars to a cutting board. Cut into 1-inch squares and serve.