Here’s a fantastic vegan butter spread that’s quick to make and 100% dairy-free. This butter is far more delicious and much healthier than any chemical blend sold in groceries. A Paleo butter, it’s perfect for your grain-free Flaky Herb Biscuits, Irish Soda Bread, or Artisan Olive Bread.
This buttery vegan spread is perfect for people who choose not to consume animal products. Unfortunately, cow’s butter in the store is not what it used to be. Even so-called “grass fed” cows may legally have feed supplemented with GMO grains. Therefore a “grass-fed” label does not insure that the butter is free of GMO’s and Monsanto’s toxic glyphosate. Nowadays, milk is heated to a high temperature, which kills all the bacteria both good and bad, plus it ends up killing essential vitamins and enzymes in the milk, rendering it more difficult to digest. However this non-dairy spread is digestible, healthy, easy to make and keep on hand. Just blend and freeze it in ice cube trays overnight, well wrapped to protect the delicate flavor. Transfer the dairy-free butter cubes to a resealable plastic bag, keep frozen for up to 3 months, and pull out a cube whenever you want one.
See the variation below for vegan spread that’s high in Omega-3 fatty acids. Vitamin-C crystals give it a cultured European flavor. Look for pure ascorbic acid in the grocery supplements section. The Vitamin C is optional, and the butter tastes great without it. Yield: 1 1/8 cups, about 9 frozen cubes.
The ingredients: Coconut oil, Olive oil, Unprocessed salt, Ascorbic acid crystals, and a blender!
Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze overnight.
Pull out a frozen cube when you need one, allow it to thaw for 5 minutes.
Dairy-Free butter tastes yummy on Paleo Flaky Herb Biscuits!
- 3/4 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted but not hot (Place the jar in a bowl of warm water. Coconut oil melts at 78º F.)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground unprocessed salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure Vitamin-C crystals, also called ascorbic acid (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in the blender and blend well. If you're mixing by hand, simply whisk the ingredients together briskly until smooth and well combined.
- Pour into an ice cube tray, wrap well, and freeze overnight. Then transfer to a resealable freezer bag.
- Enhance the nutritional profile of your butter with flax oil. It gives you a high Omega-3 shot in the arm, with a mild flavor that's hardly noticeable. Flaxseed oil contains essential fatty acids that protect cell membranes, build intestinal health, and reduce the risk of heart disease. Flax oil can be damaged by heating, so this variation is for spreading only, not for heating.
- Follow the recipe above, adding 2 tablespoons extra-virgin flax oil to the blender.