This is a sweet, spreadable vegan butter made with coconut and orange zest. It’s dreamy, creamy, and tastes yummy on everything – especially Orange Nut Muffins! Spread it on your Paleo toast, nut breads, or use it as a topping on cakes. You’ll need a food processor – it’s the only way I’ve been able to make it. A small food processor is even better. The secret to success is to have all ingredients at room temperature, as coconut is quite temperature sensitive. Yield: 1 1/2 cups.
- 6 tablespoons thick coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons raw honey to taste
- Pinch unprocessed salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil at room temperature, not melted
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon red palm oil (optional for a bright orange color)
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- In a food processor, add the coconut milk, vanilla, honey, and salt. Mix well until smooth.
- Add the coconut oil and process until very smooth.
- Add the orange zest and red palm oil, if using. Mix again very well.
- You can use it immediately, however it works better to refrigerate for 1 hour for it to solidify a bit. Then slather on muffins or toast. This is most spreadable at room temperature. If you chill it longer than one hour, it will solidify and be too hard to spread. If this happens, just set it out to warm very slowly to room temperature.