This simple combination is absolutely the best fried chicken I’ve ever tasted. A comfort-food favorite, it is super-easy to bake with breading and seasonings. Even better, it is gluten-free, grain-free, Paleo, with no processed ingredients. I serve it with a vegetable such as steamed broccoli, Broccoli with No-Cheese Sauce, or Asparagus Gremolata and Fermented Veggies on the side. Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Serves 3 or 4.
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter, softened slightly by putting the container in a bowl of warm water.
- 1 large clove garlic, in chunks
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh diced herbs such as basil, oregano, tarragon, thyme, rosemary (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds organic or non-GMO chicken, in pieces. (I use 3 or 4 thighs)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a small blender or food processor, add the egg, coconut butter, and garlic. Mix well and pour into a cereal bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the almond meal, arrowroot, salt, and herbs.
- Rinse and dry the chicken pieces. Dip each piece into the egg mixture, and roll it in the breading, coating all sides. Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Open the oven briefly, turn the pieces over and bake for another 15 - 20 minutes, or until when pierced the chicken liquid is clear, not red. Enjoy immediately.