This easy, classic egg salad tastes something like my mom’s – except oh my, it’s so much more flavorful! Maybe that’s because the eggs are pasture-raised and organic, with bright orange yolks! Even better, it contains no mayo, so you have no more worries about packing it for lunch or picnics. Instead of mayo, it uses lemon juice, vinegar, and olive oil. This salad is especially tasty with Gluten-free Onion Herb Crackers. Serves 3
- 6 eggs (See The Best Eggs are Pasture-raised Organic)
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery including leaves, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon live apple cider vinegar
- Optional sweetener: 1 teaspoon Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or a pinch PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2/3 teaspoon raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Unprocessed salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup raw spinach leaves, arugula, lettuce, radicchio, or your favorite salad greens.
- In a medium saucepan with a lid, put the eggs and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and turn down the heat to medium. Boil for 1 minute. Cover the pan and remove it from heat for 10 minutes. Then drain the water and plunge the eggs into cold water. Peel the eggs. Chill them if desired.
- Mince the green onion and celery. Place them into a medium mixing bowl. Add celery seed.
- Slice the eggs into 1/2-inch chunks and place them into the bowl with the condiments.
- Stir together in a bowl the lemon juice, vinegar, sweetener, mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour over the egg mixture and stir gently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of greens.