This is by far the best meatloaf I’ve ever tasted! My Mom’s meatloaf holds a place near and dear to my heart. But this tastes even better! Plus it’s Paleo, gluten-free and grain-free, made without the usual fillers and prepared sauces. This recipe works equally well with ground beef, lamb, buffalo, or turkey.And it’s so easy to make! I don’t often use coconut flour, but in meatloaf it’s perfect – it absorbs liquid as it bakes, for a firm texture that’s easy to slice. This primal meatloaf uses either Paleo Ketchup, No-Tomato Ketchup, your favorite ketchup, or tomato sauce. Makes one 9 x 5 inch pan. Serves 6 with leftovers for sandwiches. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs ground meat (grass-fed beef, lamb, buffalo, or organic turkey)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup Ketchup (Paleo Ketchup, or No-Tomato Ketchup, or your favorite ketchup. (No Ketchup? Use 1/3 cup tomato sauce (or No-Tomato Sauce) plus 1 tablespoon Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or your favorite sweetener, if desired.)
- 1 small handful fresh herbs (parsley, basil, cilantro, rosemary, tarragon, thyme, sage, or a mix)
- 1 teaspoon your favorite dry spices (ground cumin, sage, oregano, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons liquid coconut aminos (optional)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional, for a slight cheese taste)
- 1/3 cup Ketchup ( Paleo Ketchup, No-Tomato Ketchup, or your favorite ketchup. (No ketchup? Use the substitution above.)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper so that it extends over the sides forming handles. (I use office clips on the sides to keep the paper from folding in.)
- In a medium sauté pan, over medium low heat, add the olive oil. Add onions and celery and cook until they are soft but not browned, 10 - 15 minutes.
- Combine the ground meat, eggs, coconut flour, ketchup, herbs, aminos, and nutritional yeast, if using. Add the onions & celery. Mix well. Place in the 9 x 5 baking pan. Spread the ketchup evenly on top.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160º F. (You can put a pan of hot water in the oven under the meatloaf to keep the top from cracking.) Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve hot. It’s also delicious as leftovers in a sandwich or wrap.