This looks and tastes just like traditional basil pesto, except it is dairy-free. Authentic Italian pesto contains fresh basil, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. However this recipe is super-easy to make, and tastes almost exactly like the original. Try it on Gluten-Free Herb Crackers. Spread it on your Paleo Personal Pizza, or use it as a sauce on Zucchini Spaghetti. Store pesto in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can even freeze this pesto in an ice cube tray – then remove the cubes to a freezer storage bag. You’ll need a food processor. Makes 1 cup Pesto.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed tight
- 2/3 cup pine nuts, walnuts or pecans
- (Pine nuts don't need to be soaked. However walnuts and pecans are better soaked. See All About Nuts.)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Unprocessed salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a food processor, add basil, nuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice. Process until smooth.
- Add olive oil slowly in a single stream while processor running. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on salads, crackers, as a vegetable dip or on Zucchini Spaghetti.