This flaky baked vegan piecrust will become your favorite! So crispy and delicious, you won’t believe how quick it is to make. It is also a Paleo pie crust, as it is low-carb, gluten-free and grain free. It rolls easily, and you can press it into the pan with your fingers. This is a perfect piecrust for Paleo Apple Pie and Paleo Pumpkin Pie. Low-carb shredded coconut and zero carb chicory root are the two main ingredients. It is so flaky and crisp, my guests never guess it is completely grain free. Instead of eggs, flaxseed meal helps to bind the dough. I recommend golden flaxseeds which are light in color. (Dark flaxseeds will make your dough very dark.) Flaxseeds should always be ground and used immediately, since storing them after grinding may develop free radicals which can damage health. You’ll need a food processor to grind the coconut. Makes 1 9-inch pie shell. For a double crust or lattice, double the recipe. Find more Paleo Desserts at my website PaleoDesserts.com!
- 1/3 cup whole golden flaxseeds. (or 1/4 cup freshly ground flaxseeds)
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 3 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking.)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grind whole flaxseeds in a coffee grinder until very fine. Measure out 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds. Stir them into the water and soak for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor add sweetener, salt, arrowroot, and spin it a minute.
- Add coconut and spin until very fine. Stop it and clean the sides several times to be sure it grinds very fine.
- Add vanilla and soaked flaxseeds to food processor and mix again until it becomes a soft, uniform dough.
- Place the dough a board between two pieces of parchment paper. Dust the surface with arrowroot powder to keep from sticking. Use a rolling pin to roll it to 13 – 14 inches round, depending upon the size of your pan. Remove the top layer of parchment paper, and use the bottom layer of paper to flip dough gently over onto pie pan. Repair any rips. Flute the edges with your fingers. Prick the bottom of the pie with a fork in a few places. Pre-bake crust for 20 minutes at 300 degrees.
- Cool the pie crust, add filling and bake pie.