This flaky vegan piecrust will become your favorite! So crispy and delicious, you won’t believe how quick it is to make. It is also a Paleo pie crust, gluten-free, grain-free, and low-carb. You can roll it out with a rolling pin, or press it into the pan with your fingers. This is a perfect crust for Paleo Apple Pie and Paleo Pumpkin Pie. It’s so flaky and crisp, no one guesses it is completely grain free. Instead of eggs, chia seedsl helps to bind the dough. I like white chia seeds, as black will make your dough quite dark. You’ll need a food processor to grind the coconut. Makes 1 9-inch pie shell. For a double crust or lattice, double the recipe. Find more Paleo Desserts at my website PaleoDesserts.com!
- 1/3 cup ground white chia seeds
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 3 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1/2 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir chia seeds into the water and allow to soak for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor add sweetener, salt, arrowroot, and mix well.
- Add shredded coconut and spin until very fine. Stop it and clean the sides several times to be sure it grinds very fine.
- Add vanilla and soaked chia seeds to food processor and mix again until it becomes a soft, uniform dough.
- Place the dough a board between two pieces of parchment paper. Dust the surface with arrowroot powder to keep from sticking. Use a rolling pin to roll it to 13 – 14 inches round, depending upon the size of your pan. Remove the top layer of parchment paper, and use the bottom layer of paper to flip dough gently over onto pie pan. Repair any rips. Flute the edges with your fingers. Prick the bottom of the pie with a fork in a few places. Pre-bake crust for 20 minutes at 300 degrees.
- Cool the pie crust, add filling and bake pie.