This hearty soup is deliciously rich and mellow. A comfort food for everyone, the secrets to its delicious flavor and high-nutrition profile are Roasted Garlic and Bone Broth. Commercial broth can’t compare, as it’s made in huge vats with sweeteners and flavor chemical additives. I suggest my Bone Broth or Easy Pressure-Cooker Bone Broth. Both are simple, especially the pressure-cooker version. Try my easy Roasted Garlic recipe. It’s aluminum-free! If you make-ahead and freeze the broth, then garlic soup is a snap to make! This soup tastes deeply nourishing with Paleo Irish Soda Bread.
Bone Broth made from bone marrow will build YOUR bone marrow. That’s the spongy tissue deep inside your bones that builds stem cells and healthy blood. It takes 2 to 6 weeks to build a stem cell in your bone marrow. These cells are essential to support all your healthy tissues, joints, organs, as well as the immune system. Bone broth is very easy to digest and even more important for people with gluten-intolerance or gastro-intestinal issues.
Roasted Garlic is sweet, soft, and spreadable. It pairs beautifully with bone broth. Another renowned superfood, research shows that garlic can lower cholesterol, ease hypertension, fight cancer, and boost the immune system with powerful antioxidant and anti-microbial properties. For a non-toxic way to roast garlic, check out my easy recipe: Roasted Garlic Aluminum-free. This soup serves 4.
My superfood lunch today: Roasted Garlic Soup and Paleo Irish Soda Bread. Yum!
- 2 heads Roasted Garlic, or about 38 cloves, roasted and peeled.
- 1 cup broth for blending, not boiling hot.
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 3 medium shallots, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pound mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (wild, shiitake, porcini, oyster, crimini, chanterelle, or mixed)
- 3 cups Bone Broth or Easy Pressure-Cooker Bone Broth
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional for a hint of dairy flavor.
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill, thyme, or sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Unprocessed salt to taste and plenty of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot flour, dissolved in
- 1-2 cups full-fat Coconut milk such as Native Forest Organic Simple Coconut Milk, or Native Forest organic classic coconut milk
- In any blender, liquefy the roasted garlic in 1 cup broth until it is a creamy potage. Pour into a medium saucepan.
- In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon oil. Sauté the shallots and onions until transparent but not caramelized. Put the cooked shallots and onions into the saucepan with the garlic puree.
- Melt 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet, and sauté the mushrooms until they are tender. Add them to the saucepan. Add to the saucepan the nutritional yeast, herbs, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Add bone broth, bring soup barely to a boil, and turn to simmer.
- To thicken, whisk together the arrowroot flour and coconut milk. Add to the soup, a bring just barely to a simmer, stirring to allow the arrowroot to thicken the soup. (Over-boiling might cause the coconut milk to separate.). Season to taste and enjoy with your favorite Paleo Bread.
“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.” Ludwig van Beethoven