Basil and herbs make this mayonnaise green! Egg-free means it’s perfect for bag lunches or picnics that sit out of the refrigerator. No worries there. Green mayo is homemade, alive, healthy, and way tastier than commercial. It’s got fresh lemon juice, coconut oil, no eggs, and makes a yummy addition to salads or sandwiches. Even better, it’s quick to blend, and you can use it immediately. This mayonnaise is made from olive oil and coconut oil, which gives it a beautiful thick texture. Deliciously smooth in chicken salad, egg salad, or on crackers, you can spread it on veggies, meats, or your hot breakfast bowl. If you like this recipe, try my Homemade Mayo, Egg-free, without the garlic and herbs. Or check out my Cashew Mayo, which is quick and awesome! Store this herb mayo in the refrigerator for 7 days. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Note: Coconut oil is highly temperature sensitive. This creamy egg-free mayo works only in cold dishes that are cooler than room temperature (68 – 70°F). I do not recommend this recipe for a warm summer day, or for use with warm foods. Coconut oil melts at 78 °F, so above that temperature, you’ll have liquid mayo. If you’re using palm oil, it is more stable at warm temperatures, and will remain solid up to about 90° F. Try it!
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons live apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- Sweeten to taste with about 3 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1/2 tablespoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 1/4 teaspoons unprocessed salt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or palm oil at room temperature
- Large handful fresh basil leaves
- Other herbs are optional, such as 1 tablespoon parsley, dill, or tarragon
- In a food processor, mix lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, sweetener, salt, and garlic.
- While mixing, add the olive oil slowly through the hole in the top.
- Open the food processor and add the solid coconut or palm oil. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add the herbs last and process until leaves are finely chopped. Process as briefly as possible to keep the mixture from heating up. Then it will be thick enough to use immediately.
- Pour into a bowl or jar. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator up to one week.