Whenever I find good quality wild salmon, I make these delectable cakes! They’re easy to prepare and super-tasty for breakfast, lunch or dinner, loaded with protein and omega-3 nutrition. You can make them with other wild fish such as sea bass, halibut, or true cod. I sometimes bake them in the oven, however if you’re in a hurry they cook faster and brown nicely in a skillet. Serve with a dollop of Coconut Sour Cream, if you like. Look for Wild Alaskan Salmon, and avoid inferior varieties such as “Atlantic Salmon” or “Canadian Salmon”, which are likely farmed. (Farmed salmon are often raised with high levels of disease, toxic waste and GMO feed.) If you have any leftover patties, you can always freeze them after cooking for up to 3 months. Makes five 2 1/2-inch patties. Try them!
- 10 ounces wild salmon
- 2 large eggs, pasture raised organic
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs, such as basil, parsley, cilantro, dill, tarragon, etc.
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil for cooking
- lemon or lime wedges to serve
- To cook the salmon fillets, place skin-down in a large skillet with 1/4 inch filtered water. Cover and bring to a gentle boil over low heat to steam gently 3 to 4 minutes. Add a bit more water if it boils dry. Take care not to overcook or the fish will be dry. When the salmon turns a light color, put it on a plate to cool briefly, remove skin and bones, dice, and set aside.
- While the salmon is cooking, whisk the eggs in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in green onions, lemon juice, herbs, salt, pepper, mustard, and almond meal. Add diced salmon and stir with a spatula to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When a drop of water flicked into the pan sizzles, it’s ready. Use a 1/3 cup measure to make five patties and flatten them with your hands. Drop them into the heated skillet. Cook a 4 to 5 minutes on each side. This is the quickest way.
- If you’re baking them, bake at 350° F on a parchment-covered baking tray for a total of 20 minutes, 10 minutes on each side. Serve with lemon or lime wedges.