I love Italian food, especially when it’s pasta with tomato sauce. However my body prefers this amazing recipe with Zoodles, No-Tomato Sauce (or your favorite pasta sauce), and Vegan Parmesan Cheese. Zucchini pasta is easy on a mandoline slicer, or a vegetable spiralizer. A steamer is best for the zucchini – I bought an inexpensive silicon one that fits inside a saucepan. Why eat spaghetti that’s high in carbs and empty calories? I react to the acidity in tomatoes, a nightshade food that is a very recent addition to the human diet. However I can eat this delicious recipe that’s low in carbs, dairy-free and nightshade-free. Hooray! Serves 4
- 1 recipe Vegan Parmesan Cheese, chilled or frozen
- 1 recipe No-Tomato Sauce, or your favorite tomato sauce.
- Handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sauteed in olive oil
- 4 medium to large zucchinis
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Unprocessed salt to taste
- Prepare Vegan Parmesan Cheese. Chill, or better yet, freeze it.
- Make the No-Tomato Sauce. Add chopped basil and sauteed mushrooms, if desired. Put it on very low simmer to keep ti warm and ready.
- Slice the zucchinis into 1/8 inch strips on a mandoline slicer, and place them in a steamer inside a saucepan. Bring water to a boil and then turn it down to simmer for 5 minutes. Steam the zucchini until they begin to soften. It is a good idea to move them around gently with a spoon or with your hands so they steam evenly. You don't need to overcook them as they continue to soften.
- When the zucchini strips begin to soften, remove the pan from the stove. Season with salt and olive oil, and gently move them around to coat evenly.
- Serve in bowls with No-Tomato Sauce on top. Garnish at the table with freshly grated Vegan Parmesan Cheese.