These yummilicious bars have a blueberry filling and crumb topping. I’m always looking for easy, nutrient-dense breakfasts, snacks, or desserts that are low in sugars. These are loaded with high anti-oxidant berries and superfoods. The crust uses chia seeds which are high in protein and Omega-3 oil, instead of eggs. The filling is made with fresh berries, avocado, and optional goji berries. A Vegan breakfast or snack, you can assemble them the night before and bake in the morning. If you’re sensitive to nightshades, omit the goji berries. You’ll need a 9 x 9-inch pan and a food processor. Yield: 16 superfood bars.
Blueberry Superfood Crumble Bars
- 2 tablespoons ground white chia seeds soaked 15 minutes in 6 tablespoons filtered water (or 1 large egg)
- 1/2 cup almond meal or flour
- Sweeten to taste with 1/4 - 1/2 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 - 4 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1-3 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 cup your favorite nut butter. (I used crunchy roasted almond butter)
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite protein powder (optional)
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 10 ounces (1 cup) blueberries fresh or frozen, well drained.
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup sweetener to taste, depending on berries used
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pinches cloves
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened goji berries (optional - omit if you are sensitive to nightshades)
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup chopped raw nuts such as almonds, pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 9-inch pan with parchment paper with handles that come over both sides. (I also use wire clips to hold paper in place on the sides.)
- In a food processor, combine soaked chia seeds, almond meal, sweetener, vanilla, almond butter, and protein powder, if using. Mix well. Add coconut, and pulse in so that it remains in large pieces.
- Press the crust evenly into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- In the empty food processor, add berries, avocado, arrowroot, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Process until smooth.
- Sweeten to taste. Sweetener needed will vary greatly. If you’re using very tart berries, you may need more sweetener.
- Pulse in goji berries, if using, so they remain in large pieces.
- Spread the filling evenly over prepared crust.
- Sprinkle topping of shredded coconut and chopped nuts on top. Press them in a bit. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set. Do not over-bake.
- Allow to cool about 15 minutes on a rack so the bars can set. Or Put them in the refrigerator to cool faster. Cut into bars and serve.
- Wrap and store bars for 4 days at room temperature, longer in the refrigerator, and much longer in the freezer. They make great snacks and emergency breakfasts.
Top & Bake:
©Copyright Jane Barthelemy 2012
No Replies to "Blueberry Superfood Crumble Bars"