Everyone loves Spaghetti alla Carbonara! This easy 15-minute meal is high in protein, low in carbs, Paleo-adapted with zoodles, or zucchini noodles! We think of this as a traditional Italian dish, however it’s actually a 1944 adaptation of US Army rations. Spaghetti alla Carbonara was invented by a smart Italian refugee woman during WWII. It seems American troops shared powdered eggs and bacon with starving coal diggers who had fled to the hills around Rome to escape the Germans. A carbonaro is an Italian coal digger. A carbonara is his wife. While the US Army ate bacon & eggs on toast, she made it with pasta and called it Spaghetti alla Carbonara, or Coal Digger’s Wife’s Spaghetti. Ha ha!
Zucchini noodles are my favorite healthy pasta, easy to make with a vegetable spiralizer, or a julienne peeler. See my recipe for Zoodles, Quick & Easy. The secrets to luscious non-dairy Parmesan cheese are coconut butter and lemon!
Look for organic bacon, sugar-free if you can find it. This avoids health risks from blood sugar spikes, GMO’s and pesticides. Another alternative is prosciutto, which you may find non-GMO and sugar-free. This recipe is super flexible – modify it as you like: Use sauteed chicken instead of bacon. Make it vegetarian and skip the meat altogether. Add chili peppers. Or substitute spaghetti squash for zucchini. Oh, and pretend you’re in the hills outside of Rome – Buon Appetito! Serves 2.
Slice bacon in 1/2 inch squares. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat.
Cook bacon until barely crisp, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then remove from heat and set aside in the pan.
A small blender helps to blend the Carbonara Sauce smooth. Or use a whisk.
Heat the zoodles in a pan, pour this sauce over, stir and serve!
- 5 slices organic bacon (about 5 ounces) cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3 eggs, preferably pastured, organic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (for a parmesan flavor)
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter, softened if mixing by hand (42 grams)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted but not hot if mixing by hand (14 grams)
- 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt and some black pepper
- handful parsley to garnish
- Saute the bacon. Spiralize the zucchini.
- Heat a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat with a tablespoon of bacon fat. Stir-fry the zoodles, tossing frequently until al dente. This takes 3 to 5 minutes. Don’t overcook or they’ll be limp.
- Meanwhile, blend or whisk together the sauce ingredients.
- When the zoodles are nice and hot, throw the sauce into the pan with the zoodles. Turn off the heat and toss gently to cook the eggs evenly. Serve immediately. That's it!
No Replies to "Zoodles alla Carbonara, Paleo style"