There are few combinations as heavenly as strawberry and rhubarb. Baked together, strawberry and rhubarb do something for the soul. Rhubarb’s tart flavor goes perfectly with the sweetness of strawberries. This yummy treat is refreshing and easy to make without gluten, grains, flour, dairy, or sugar. It won’t spike your blood sugar or cause weight gain, if you use one of the suggested natural zero-carb sweeteners. Try it with dairy-free Instant Coconut Whipped Cream on top.
I REALLY love rhubarb! For more healthy rhubarb treats, see my Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake, Strawberry Rhubarb Cream Tart, Paleo Rhubarb Coffeecake, Yogurt with Rhubarb Ginger Sauce, and Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler in a Cup. This crisp keeps well for 4 days in the fridge, or freeze it for a rainy day in a BPA-free container for up to 3 months. Yield: one 9 x 9-inch square pan (or 7 x 11, the same volume). Serves 6.
- 4 branches rhubarb, sliced in 1/2-inch cubes. (1 pound or about 500 grams after trimming)
- 1 pound strawberries, trimmed and sliced
- Sweeten to taste: 6 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 tablespoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/4 cup honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 inches fresh ginger, diced or grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts, soaked and toasted if possible (See All About Nuts)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sweetener used above or equivalent
- 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (place oil in a small bowl in the oven for a few minutes)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Get out a 9 x 9-inch pan.
- Stir together all the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl: rhubarb, strawberries, sweetener, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and lemon juice. Place in the pan and bake uncovered 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together the streusel ingredients: coconut, nuts, sweetener, salt, and coconut oil. After the filling mixture has baked for 15 minutes, remove from the oven briefly, and sprinkle streusel on top. Press it in gently, and put it back in the oven before it gets cold.
- Bake another 30 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling, and the streusel is crispy light brown.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream. Heavenly!
Slice the rhubarb lengthwise and crosswise. Trim and slice the strawberries too.
Stir the filling ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
Spread filling in baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
Whisk together the streusel ingredients. Spread over the half-baked fruit.
Bake for another 30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown on top.
Enjoy it warm with Instant Coconut Whipped Cream on top!