Finally, a healthy salmon spread or dip! This is great for lunches, picnics, or parties, and tastes fantastic on crackers or veggies. The flavor is even better than my mom’s salmon cream cheese spread. And since it contains no mayo, you can leave it out of the refrigerator with no worries. The recipe is Paleo and dairy-free. Instead of cream cheese it is made with coconut butter and lemon. Wild Alaskan salmon is a rich source of protein, vitamins, minerals, and has much higher ratio of omega-3 than the farmed variety. Look for wild salmon labeled “Alaskan sockeye salmon” to be sure it’s truly wild. Vitamin C crystals are optional for a tart flavor. If you don’t have them, just add a bit more lemon juice to taste. Keeps for 4 days in the refrigerator, or 24 hours at room temperature. Makes 1 1/2 cups spread.
- 1/2 pound wild salmon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, medium to thick
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 white onion, finely grated
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt, or more to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, softened. (Place it in a bowl in a warm oven for a few minutes, or place the container in a bowl of warm water)
- 3/4 teaspoon Vitamin C crystals (optional, for a lemony flavor. Look in the supplements section of any healthy grocery)
- Garnish with dill or parsley
- Place the raw salmon a shallow pan over medium heat. Add 1/4-inch filtered water into the pan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down very low and cover. It takes 3 - 5 minutes to steam all the way through. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Remove skin and bones. Dice finely and put into a medium mixing bowl.
- In any style blender, add coconut milk, lemon juice, vinegar, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Blend well. Add the coconut butter and optional Vitamin C. Blend again until smooth, and pour into the mixing bowl with the salmon. Stir well.
- Serve immediately, or chill 2 hours to thicken. Garnish with fresh herbs.
No Replies to "Paleo Wild Salmon Spread"