Do you long for the authentic flavor of old-fashioned Himalayan tea? Or do you crave the warm spices of a steamy Starbucks Chai Tea Latte? Whatever you desire, this delectable brew will warm your body and soul. Instead of black tea, it uses Tulsi tea, also called Holy Basil, which tastes like black tea and is naturally caffeine-free. Sweetener is optional. Instead of a high-carb sweetener like sugar, it WOULD be sweetened with zero-carb sweetener, so it gives your blood sugar a break. Sadly, my favorite healthy sweetener is not available (for a while). So you’ll have to use another sweetener or SKIP the SWEETENER altogether, and focus on the spices. Tulsi Tea is sold in almost any grocery store. Equipment needed: A small saucepan and a fine-mesh tea strainer. Yield: Two 16-ounce servings.
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 to 4 tea bags Tulsi tea, or your favorite caffeine-free tea
- 2 cups any unsweetened coconut milk
- Optional sweetener to taste: 3 to 4 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking), or 1/2 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 -3 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Plenty of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch unprocessed salt (optional, for that real Tibetan taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, or 2 sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, or 3 whole
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, or 1 inch fresh ginger, sliced thinly
- 2 star anise pods, or 1/4 teaspoon ground or whole aniseed (optional)
- In a small saucepan, boil the filtered water.
- Stir the tea into the boiling water and let steep for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, sweetener, vanilla, pepper, salt, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and anise (if using). Stir and bring to boiling. Remove from the heat, cover, and let steep for 3 minutes. Strain and enjoy!
- Chocolate Chai: Add 1 tablespoon of pure cacao powder and 1 tablespoon more sweetener.
- Iced Chai Latte: Serve over ice cubes.
- Chai Frappé: Blend in any style blender with ice.