Anti-oxidant, nutrient-dense, and delicious, these potent anti-cancer foods make a surprising flavor harmony. Beets contain valuable nutrients used to help lower blood pressure, boost stamina, and support body detox. Goji berries are powerful anti-oxidants that build the immune system by protecting the body from free radical damage. They blend into a delicious orange dressing that adds color and thickness to the salad. Wild blueberries are one of nature’s most potent superfoods. Small and tart, they are said to possess the power to prevent every human malady including cancer. Wild blueberries are smaller than their larger, cultivated cousins, and vastly higher in nutrients. Try this salad! Serves 4 as a main dish, or 8 as a side salad.
I found frozen Organic Woodstock Wild Blueberries at the Montanita Coop in Santa Fe. They’re small, sweet and a bit tart. Wild Blueberries are higher in nutrients and anti-oxidants than cultivated varities. They hold ancient survival information, having adapted to every brutal climate fluctuation over millennia.
- 1 cup salad greens, such as spinach and arugula
- 14 oz. fresh beets, cooked and sliced (400 grams)
- 1/4 cup dry goji berries (You'll need another 1/4 cup for the dressing)
- 1/2 cup wild blueberries
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Handful almonds
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 cup dry goji berries
- Put all the salad ingredients into a salad serving bowl: greens, beets, 1/4 cup goji berries, wild blueberries, cilantro, and almonds.
- Blend together olive oil, garlic, honey, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt. Add the goji berries last and blend again. Blend long enough for them to grind as they will thicken the dressings and turn it a bright orange color. Pour dressing over the salad, stir and serve. Oooooh!