Absolutely the best fried chicken I’ve ever tasted! Just dip and bake. It’s a super-easy comfort food favorite. Even better, it’s gluten-free, grain-free, Paleo, with no GMO or processed ingredients. You’ll love how fast this dinner comes together, and how simply delicious. I serve it with a vegetable such as Broccoli with No-Cheese Sauce, or Asparagus Gremolata and Fermented Veggies. Look for organic chicken for best flavor and to avoid GMO-fed birds. Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Serves 3 or 4.
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter, softened slightly by putting the container in a bowl of warm water.
- 1 large clove garlic, in chunks
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh diced herbs such as basil, oregano, tarragon, thyme, rosemary (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds organic chicken, in pieces. (I used 4 thighs)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a small blender or food processor, add the egg, coconut butter, and garlic. Mix well and pour into a cereal bowl. Or you can mix by hand if the coconut butter is soft.
- In a small bowl, stir together the almond meal, tapioca or arrowroot, salt, and herbs.
- Rinse and dry the chicken pieces. Dip each piece into the egg mixture, and roll it in the almond meal, coating all sides. Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Open the oven briefly, turn the pieces over and bake for another 15 - 20 minutes, or until when pierced the chicken liquid is clear, not red. Enjoy!