I love sharp cheddar cheese! This Paleo-Vegan cheese tastes almost exactly like Wisconsin cheddar, except it’s dairy-free. It is a firm, rich, creamy cheese, with a slightly tangy flavor. Delicious on crackers, slice it for sandwiches, grate it into salads and soups, or use it to make vegan cheese sauce for veggies. It is made with coconut butter, lemon and a few other secret ingredients you can find in any healthy grocery. Easy to make – just blend, chill, slice, and eat! It keeps well in the freezer. Allow it to thaw for a few minutes before slicing so it doesn’t crumble. This cheese grates and slices best when cold, but not quite frozen. It will crumble when frozen, and soften from the heat of your fingers very quickly, because coconut butter melts at 78°. The garlic is optional – if you’re a garlic fan like me, you’ll be in heaven! Makes about 2 cups cheese.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk, thick (or 2 tablespoons if thin.)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, softened (put the jar in a bowl of warm water)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin-C crystals
- 1/2 clove fresh crushed garlic, optional. (Try it, it's amazing!)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (put the jar in a bowl of lukewarm water)
- 3-6 tablespoons carrot, finely grated, for color. I used a micro-plane grater.
- In any style blender add lemon juice, coconut milk, coconut butter, nutritional yeast, salt, and Vitamin-C crystals. Blend well until smooth. Have patience and add a bit more lemon juice if you need more liquid. My blender did OK but I had to help it with the corner of my rubber spatula.
- Add the grated carrot until it reaches your desired cheddar cheese color.
- Add the coconut oil and blend again until smooth. It will be quite thick.
- Pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze until solid. A shallow container is easier for even thawing. Enjoy!