A smooth and creamy snack with irresistible flavor, easy to make, and so full of superfoods! Spicy Hot Chocolate Chai will keep your body running on high-energy fuel for hours, while promoting long-term health. Just look at the list of superfoods!
- Raw cacao has one of the highest scores on flavonoids. Flavonoids are a specific subset of anti-oxidants and polyphenols that have anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, anti-hypertension, and anti-aging properties. In addition to flavonoids, cacao beans contain other beneficial catechins, epicatechins and proanthocyanidins that may also account for some of the health benefits.
- Maca is widely used to increase energy, promote stable mood, reduce depression, and increase sexual function of both men and women.
- Turmeric and its active ingredient curcumin, contain powerful anti-aging, anti-cancer, anti-Alzheimer’s, anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial properties, and most important of all, prevent free radical formation in the cells.
- Coconut oil is rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). Most fatty acids in our diet are long-chain fatty acids, but the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil are metabolized differently. They go straight to the liver from the digestive tract, where they’re used as a quick energy source or converted into so-called ketone bodies, which can have therapeutic effects on brain disorders like epilepsy and Alzheimer’s. Studies show that the fatty acids in coconut oil can increase blood levels of ketone bodies, supplying energy to the brain cells in Alzheimer’s patients to relieve symptoms.
- Reishi mushroom extract shows a therapeutic effect on asthma, allergies, autoimmune diseases, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, diabetes, liver diseases and more.
- Bee pollen, the food of the young bee, is approximately 40% protein. Considered one of Nature’s most complete foods, it contains nearly all nutrients required by humans.
- Chicory root as a prebiotic has the greatest inulin concentration of any known plant. This soluble fiber stimulates the growth and activity of beneficial bacteria in the digestive system.
So drink up! Serves 2
- 1 cup unsweetened alternative milk such as Native Forest organic Full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 2 tablespoon your favorite protein powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon raw maca powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pinches black pepper
- Pinch cayenne (Optional. Skip this if you're sensitive to nightshades)
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- Dash vanilla extract
- 1 capful Reishi mushroom extract.
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen powder
- Sweeten to taste with about 2 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1 1/2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- Put all ingredients into a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk briskly for a minute while heating until it steams, but do not boil. Keep heat low to retain all the wonderful enzymes and nutrients in these superfoods.
- Pour into 2 mugs and enjoy!