Creamy, smooth, and nourishing, Golden Milk helps stimulate blood circulation and organ health. But turmeric is hard for the body to absorb, and very few people understand how to mix Golden Milk to optimize assimilation. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory food that destroys many types of cancer. This delicious Golden Milkshake is especially formulated with black pepper and quercetin-rich bee pollen, to maximize the health benefits of turmeric. Here are the four secrets to improve curcumin absorption:
- Eat tumermic with black pepper: Black pepper can greatly improve absorption of turmeric in the body.
- Add some fat: Turmeric is fat-soluble and thus much better absorbed when taken with fat. Examples of fat are coconut milk, coconut oil, MCT oil, animal fats, butter.
- Heat it: Heat increases the solubility of curcumin by 12 times.
- Eat turmeric with quercetin-rich foods: Quercetin, a flavonoid, is known to inhibit an enzyme that inactivates curcumin. Consuming turmeric with quercetin-rich foods can increase the absorbtion of turmeric in the body. A few high-quercetin foods to consider are: apples, grapes, black tea, green tea, bee pollen, and cocoa powder. Click here for a list of foods high in quercetin.
The secret ingredients of this recipe to optimize health benefits are turmeric, hot full-fat coconut milk, bee pollen, and black pepper. The banana and spices just give it creamy texture and rich flavor. Serves one.
- 2 cups any full-fat coconut milk. See my homemade nut milk recipe
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1 banana, in chunks
- Optional spices: Dash of ground cinnamon and ground ginger
- Add all ingredients in a saucepan: coconut milk, turmeric, black pepper, bee pollen, and banana.
- Heat until steamy but not boiling.
- Whiz with an immersion blender until frothy. Pour into a 16 oz mug. Enjoy!