Creamy, smooth, and nourishing, Spicy Golden Milk will stimulate blood circulation, natural immunity, and organ health. Turmeric is not always well-absorbed, so this recipe shows you the ideal ingredients to optimize its benefits. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory food that destroys many types of cancer. This delicious Golden Milkshake is especially formulated with black pepper and quercetin-rich bee pollen, to maximize the health benefits of turmeric.
Here are the four secrets to improve curcumin absorption:
- Eat turmeric with black pepper: Black pepper can greatly improve absorption of turmeric in the body.
- Add some fat: Turmeric is fat-soluble and thus much better absorbed when taken with fat. Examples of fat are coconut milk, coconut oil, MCT oil, animal fats, butter.
- Heat it: Heat increases the solubility of curcumin by 12 times.
- Eat turmeric with quercetin-rich foods: Quercetin, a flavonoid, is known to inhibit an enzyme that inactivates curcumin. Consuming turmeric with quercetin-rich foods can increase the absorption of turmeric in the body. A few high-quercetin foods to consider are: apples, grapes, black tea, green tea, bee pollen, and cocoa powder. Click here for a list of foods high in quercetin.
Bee pollen is famous for being high in antioxidants to protect from free radical damage. It is said to have powerful anti-inflammatory properties, enhance absorption of iron, calcium, phosphorus, and it may boost metabolism and promote longevity. Serves one. Enjoy!
- 2 cups any full-fat coconut milk. See my homemade nut milk recipe
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1 banana, in chunks
- Spike the immune system with optional ground spices: Dash of ground cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, carob, or cocoa powder.
- Add all ingredients in a saucepan: coconut milk, turmeric, black pepper, bee pollen, and banana.
- Heat until steamy but not boiling.
- Whiz with an immersion blender until frothy. Pour into a 16 oz mug. Enjoy!