Chocolate Haystacks are super quick and delicious. In fact, there’s no need to bake these cookies. Just mix them, roll them, and eat them! They’re a great lunch treat or snack, and a fun recipe to make with children, no equipment required. And if you use one of the zero-glycemic sweeteners suggested, they’re super-low in carbs, to keep everyone’s blood sugar balanced. Any plain nut butter will work, such as almond butter, sunflower butter, coconut butter, etc. If you don’t tolerate tree nuts, use coconut butter.
I find these cookies crispier and more flavorful when the shredded coconut is lightly toasted. To toast it, place it in a dry baking pan and bake at 350°F for 5 to 8 minutes. Watch it carefully and remove from the oven just as it starts to turn golden brown. Take care – it burns easily! It is important that all the ingredients be at room temperature, since cold or heat may shock the the coconut and cause it to separate, which may make your cookies greasy. Just make sure the toasted coconut is well cooled, and nothing is hot or cold. This recipe makes about 24 yummy cookies. Find more healthy sweets in my book Paleo Desserts, or my website PaleoDesserts.com!
No bake, no fuss. Just mix, roll, and eat.
- 3 tablespoons roasted almond butter or coconut butter, unsweetened.
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (place jar in lukewarm water to melt oil)
- 3/4 cup sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/2 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/4 cup pure cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of unprocessed salt
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted if possible.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the nut butter, melted coconut oil, sweetener, cacao powder, vanilla, salt, and water until smooth.
- Add the shredded coconut and mix in gently.
- With a spoon or a melon-baller, form 1-inch balls. Place on a serving plate.
- Enjoy immediately or chill to firm up.
No Replies to "Paleo Chocolate Haystack Cookies"