Today I made cashew butter for the Chocolate Cashew Butter Cookies. Homemade nut butters are quick and easy to make. Nut butters such as almond, sunflower, or pumpkin seeds, are a delicious, high-protein snack, cheaper and fresher than store-bought. Even better, they’re unprocessed, unsweetened, and you can choose the quality of your nuts. You can pre-soak them to remove indigestible coatings, to render them sweeter and more digestible. You can dehydrate them or toast them – see my article All About Nuts. Just make sure your nuts are completely dried out before you make nut butter, as moisture will greatly reduce their shelf-life.
It takes just 3 minutes to blend nut butter smooth and creamy, which makes a superblender a money-saving investment in your health. I recommend the BlendTec WildSide and the Twister Jar because I use them both daily. It is possible to make nut butter in a food processor, if you have patience and about 25 minutes processing time, plus stopping and starting. While many people do it this way, it might not be the BEST way to do it, or the most efficient use of your time or your food processor. I make nut butters quickly in a superblender. Just throw the nuts in, and blend! I love my Blendtec, and the small Twister Jar has a lid with legs that reach down into any thick mixture to keep it rotating inward toward the blade – a great feature! A VitaMix will also do the job very well. I store nut butters in a glass jar in the refrigerator, however many people say chilling is unnecessary, so this is your choice. Get started with homemade nut butters and you’ll ever go back! 2 cups nuts makes about 1 cup nut butter.
Blending Stage 1 – the mixture will look grainy. This is the BlendTec Twister Jar.
Blending Stage 2, now it is smooth and creamy!
- 2 cups nuts, preferably soaked, dehydrated or toasted. (See All About Nuts)
- They can be almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pecans, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts, raw hemp seeds, etc.
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons raw honey, or 3 teaspoons natural zero-glycemic sweetener.
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon pure cacao powder plus 3 tablespoons sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Put the nuts in your superblender or food processor and turn it on. The nuts go through different stages as they grind, from whole to crumbly to grainy, to balling up like a dough. Finally they become a smooth and creamy liquid. Just let the machine run until the stages are complete. Sometimes it helps to stop and scrape the sides, or tamp it down if necessary, depending on your machine. Above all do not worry, and do not add water.
No Replies to "Homemade Nut Butters in Minutes"