Oh boy! It’s berry season! How about a quick layered parfait in a cup? This breakfast looks complicated but isn’t. You’ll be rewarded with luscious nutrition of fresh berries and almonds. “Parfait” means “perfect” or “impeccable” in French. And layered food is very beautiful! If you have a blender or food processor, in 5-minutes your treat can be ready to eat!
This is a vitamin-rich knock-out with high-anti-oxidant strawberries and citrus. Powerful nutritional compounds in berries such as anthocyanins, quercetin, and vitamin C can help to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress from free radicals. Almonds are an important source of protein and fiber, while being naturally low in sugar.
Look for organic berries, because pesticide spray is said to remain, especially on strawberries. You’ll need a food processor, or a small blender, or immersion blender with cup. Serves one. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, or a bit more if needed to blend
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) coconut butter, softened (place the container in a bowl of warm water)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- A dash of vanilla
- Optional sweetener to taste: Up to 3 tablespoons sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 1/2 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 3/4 cup tart berries such as blueberries, raspberries,strawberries, gooseberries
- 1/4 cup almonds, soaked and toasted if possible
- Blend all ingredients except the berries and almonds in a food processor, or small high-speed blender jar, or immersion blender with cup.
- Layer the lemon mousse in a tall parfait glass
- Sprinkle the layers with toasted almonds and tart berries.