Hot biscuits with creamy sausage gravy make a hearty Southern breakfast. For true Paleo sausage, look for unsweetened, non-gmo grass-fed meat. Coconut milk and arrowroot powder make a thick, creamy gravy, that’s dairy-free, or you can use your favorite alternative milk. I added a bit of lemon juice to cover the coconut flavor, and it worked! This is a satisfying meal that can be ready in 20 minutes. Enjoy over fresh Paleo Baking Powder Biscuits. Serves 4
Paleo Biscuits and Gravy
- 1 Recipe Paleo Baking Powder Biscuits
- 1 lb. Breakfast Sausage, cut into small pieces. I like it uneven so there are a few large chunks
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sage or poultry seasoning, or 1 tablespoon chopped herbs (sage, marjoram, basil, or parsley)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast (optional for a buttery flavor)
- Plenty black pepper
- 1 can (13.75 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- Unprocessed salt to taste, depending on sausage
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage for 3 minutes. Add onion and sauté until it begins to soften. Add arrowroot, nutmeg, sage or herbs, and nutritional yeast, if using. Stir to coat the sausage evenly.
- Add coconut milk, and heat just to boiling. Do not overcook the milk. Overcooked full-fat coconut milk may separate the oil from the liquid.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately over Paleo Baking Powder Biscuits
©Copyright Jane Barthelemy 2012
No Replies to "Paleo Biscuits & Gravy"