Spicy chicken wings are a delicious snack or meal, great for gatherings, and so easy to make. These are tender baked chicken pieces with an irresistible sweet and spicy marinade. If you use the zero-sugar sweeteners suggested, this recipe is perfect for folks on low-carb or diabetic diets. Everyone loves them, and no one can tell the difference. This recipe is also nightshade optional (no tomatoes), for easy digestion. Chicken wings taste fantastic alone, or try them with Vegan Blue Cheese Dip and celery sticks. Makes about 24 pieces, or 12 appetizer servings.
- 2 lbs chicken wings (about 12 wings)
- 1/3 cup filtered water or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, lemon or lime juice, or a combination
- 1/4 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 3 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger root, chopped very fine
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup mild paprika or chili powder
- 2 pinches cayenne
- Remove the wing tips, and set aside for making broth. Cut each remaining wing at the joint, so you should have about 24 pieces. Put them in a plastic bag and set aside.
- In a small bowl add the olive oil, sweetener, vinegar or lemon juice, mustard, turmeric, cumin, ginger, salt, and black pepper. Add paprika and cayenne if using. Mix well and pour on the chicken pieces inside the plastic bag. Close the bag and knead it so that all the chicken pieces are well coated. You can bake them now. Or you can refrigerate in the bag for 30 - 60 minutes to allow them to absorb the marinade a bit more.Then empty the bag contents into a large mixing bowl.
- Place the chicken wings in a shallow pan, or on the rack of a broiler pan. Save the remaining marinade for basting. Broil chicken wings 4 to 5 inches from the heat at 500° F for about 9 minutes.Then open the oven, turn each piece, spoon the sauce over them to keep them moist while baking, and bake for another 9 minutes. Baste with sauce as needed and discard any remaining sauce that is not baked.
- Chicken is done when the meat is tender and not pink when cut. Remove from oven and serve hot!