Plain, chocolate, or caramel, which is best? Everyone knows the best macaroons are crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle. Gluten-free, perfect for Passover, and my #1 easiest cookie, anyone can make guilt-free Paleo macaroons in under 30 minutes. All you need is shredded coconut, eggs, coconut milk, and low-carb natural sweetener. To make luscious chocolate or caramel dipped macaroons, just mix these quick sauces and dip the baked cookies! The great thing is – they don’t have to be perfect. Kids love to make them, and they taste even better slightly irregular and shaggy. These are truly a guilt-free treat, low in carbs. And if you use the zero-glycemic natural sweetener suggested, they won’t spike your blood sugar or cause weight gain. A blender is helpful but not required. For more luscious guilt-free treats, check out my book Paleo Desserts. Makes about 36 macaroons.
- 1/2 cup medium to thick unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups sweetener to taste, such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 3 1/3 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 7/8 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean scrapings, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1/3 cup granulated sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top Sweetener, or 1 tablespoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 teaspoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons boiling filtered water
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil (place jar in lukewarm water to melt oil)
- 1/2 vanilla bean scrapings or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons pure cacao powder
- 1/3 cup Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 tablespoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 2 teaspoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed ghee, melted
- 1/2 vanilla bean scrapings, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons boiling filtered water, or a bit more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 2 tablespoons protein powder
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In any blender, processor, mixer, or by hand, mix the coconut milk, sweetener, salt, vanilla, egg white, 1/2 cup of the coconut flakes, and optional almond extract. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining 3 cups of coconut flakes and stir by hand.
- Chill the dough in the same bowl for 10 minutes to soak up the sweetness, so the cookies are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.
- With a teaspoon and your fingers, drop mounds of batter 1 inch apart onto the cookie sheets. Press each one a bit so it stays intact. The cookies can be anywhere from 1 to 2 inches in diameter, and slightly irregular and shaggy.
- Bake 16 for 20 minutes. When they're a beautiful golden brown, remove from oven to a rack to cool.
- In a small heat-proof bowl, stir together the sweetener, boiling water, melted oil, and vanilla. Mix until the sweetener is dissolved.
- Add the powdered ingredients and mix until smooth. It should be quite thick so it sticks to the cookies. You can thin it out with a bit more boiling water, or thicken it with a bit more powder.
- Dip the cooled macaroons upside down into the coating so the top third of the cookie is covered. Let any excess drip back into the cup. Enjoy!
No Replies to "Healthy Coconut Macaroons in 3 Flavors!"