These easy cookies are 100% Paleo and delicious!. They’re gluten-free, grain-free and low-carb. Jane Barthelemy shares a recipe from her new book on Paleo desserts.
Here’s how to make them:
- 1 cup granulated Paleo sweetener. A fine grind sweetener is best, such as:
- Just Like Sugar chicory root (justlikesugarinc.com, amazon.com) or
- Xyli-Pure by Jarrow (some Whole Foods Markets, or amazon.com)
- 1 1/4 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup granulated Paleo sweetener, finely ground for rolling after baking. (Xylitol or Erythritol work best for this.)
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a dry food processor with an “S” blade, grind the sweetener several minutes to a very fine powder. You may need to open the machine and stir.
- Add coconut, arrowroot and salt. Grind again till very fine. Open the machine and stir several times to grind very fine.
- Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract. Mix well.
- Add pecans last and pulse gently to mix them in evenly.
- Refrigerate dough in same container for 15 minutes.
- Gently shape the dough without pressing into small, smooth 3/4-inch balls 1-inch apart on 2 cookie sheets. The dough will be soft. If your hands get sticky, wash and dry them.
- Bake 18 – 20 minutes. Do not overbake; they will not brown.
- While still warm, roll the delicate cookies very gently in finely ground Paleo sweetener.
- The cookies will continue to firm up as they cool. Makes 36 to 40 cookies.
* Tip: For rolling the baked cookies, grind your sweetener fine in a food processor, high speed blender or coffee grinder. Erythritol and Xylitol work best for rolling, as they grind to a very fine powder. Just Like Sugar does not work well for rolling these cookies, and just gets sticky.