An easy side dish or topping, fresh mushrooms add a special homemade flavor to any meal. I learned how to cook mushrooms in Italy and it’s super-fast. Just sauté them in your favorite oil with a little salt, pepper, garlic, and parsley. They taste great by themselves. Or serve them over Healthy Alternatives to Mashed Potatoes, Savory Quinoa Herb Waffles. or my favorite Zoodles!
- 2 tablespoons oil such as organic coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms - any kind. (My favorites are Shiitake, button, maitake, chanterelle, crimping, oyster, in that order.)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- handful chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Wash the mushrooms, trim the woody stems, and slice them.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add crushed garlic and sauté till you can smell the flavor but it's not brown.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, salt, and sauté for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften. Taste one, and if necessary cook 1-3 more minutes until the texture is soft but not overcooked. Add chopped parsley and lemon just before serving. Enjoy!