I love Italian food, especially when it’s pasta! But why eat high-carb spaghetti that’s nutritionally empty? Zoodles are SO easy to make on a mandoline slicer or vegetable spiralizer. Traditional Pasta Alfredo is made with heavy cream and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, a dairy load some people can’t tolerate. This delicious Paleo recipe uses nutritional yeast and lemon to give a cheese flavor that’s dairy-free. It uses 1 can (1 ¾ cups) of thick full-fat coconut milk instead of cream. Hooray! For cooking the Zoodles, any steamer works – I bought an inexpensive silicon steamer that fits inside a saucepan. Or you can just boil them super-quick and drain in a colander. This is a delicious, savory main meal. I made it for a dinner with friends last week. One of them was so impressed she went home and made it for her family, and they loved it too! Serves 4.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, in cubes or strips, or chicken tenders
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup thick full-fat canned coconut milk, such as Native Forest classic (
- 2 - 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon unprocessed salt to taste, and some pepper
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, stirred into 3/4 cup coconut milk
- Make zucchini noodles per instructions on your veggie spiralizer, or mandoline slicer. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir chicken in hot oil until no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes, depending on the size of your pieces. Remove from heat, put chicken on a plate and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms, green onions, and parsley. Cook until mushrooms begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and parsley into the mushrooms and bring barely to a boil. Do NOT over-boil or the coconut milk may separate.
- To thicken, stir arrowroot into ¾ cup coconut milk until dissolved. Pour this into the mixture on the stove and heat briefly until barely boiling an slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Add chicken, season to taste, bring to a boil very briefly.
- Meanwhile, in any steamer, add ½ inch filtered water and place the zucchini noodles inside so they don’t touch the water. Bring to a boil and turn down very low, moving the noodles occasionally to cook evenly 2-3 minutes. Cook VERY briefly or they’ll wilt into nothing.
- Serve sauce over zucchini noodles.
No Replies to "Zucchini Pasta Alfredo with Chicken"