I love this lemon meringue pie! Here’s a dessert that tastes truly delicious and healthy all the way down to your toes. It is refreshing, tart, rich, and luscious, just like Grandma’s, except it is loaded with whole food nutrition. To preserve the authentic flavor, anti-oxidants Vitamin C and bioflavonoids, the filling uses zest and blended pulp of fresh, uncooked lemons. This peel-and-blend method uses the entire fruit. Plus it’s quicker and healthier than squeezing lemon juice. Every part of this pie excites the senses and is highly nourishing. Let’s forget about empty-calorie, tasteless gluten-free flours, and gmo cornstarch for a moment and taste a real pie! It’s low-carb, Paleo, Gluten and Grain-free, Diabetic-friendly, and Tree-nut free, sweetened with Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener. Or use your favorite sweetener. You’ll need a food processor and a blender. Makes one amazing 10-inch gluten-free lemon meringue pie. You’ll want to eat the whole thing! Find more Paleo Desserts at my website PaleoDesserts.com!
- 1 recipe Vegan Flaky Baked Piecrust
- 3 - 4 lemons (550 grams peeled, seeded pulp) BTW Meyer's lemons make the BEST pie!
- Zest of 1 orange (for orange color)
- 2 3/4 cups Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking), or your favorite sweetener.
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons Agar flakes
- 1 cup any unsweetened coconut milk, to cook the agar
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking) Or use your favorite sweetener.
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Prepare 1 recipe Vegan Flaky Baked Piecrust. Make fork holes in it and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Then set aside.
- Zest the lemons into any blender. Then peel them with with a knife to remove the superficial white pith. Slice them and seed them with the tip of a knife. (Hold them up to a light to see the seeds) Weigh the pulp and place in the blender. (Th peel and blend method method is quicker than squeezing lemon juice, and has the advantage of getting ALL the delicious pulp.)
- Add to the blender the orange zest, sweetener, vanilla, salt and coconut oil. Liquefy completely until very smooth. Sweeten to taste if desired.
- In a shallow nonstick pan over medium heat, stir the agar into the coconut milk. Cook and stir gently for 2 to 3 minutes, until it is bubbling and gummy, and the flakes begin to dissolve. Do not overcook the coconut oil or it will get oily. Add the cooked agar mixture to the blender immediately and blend well to remove any lumps.
- Pour the filling into the baked crust. Refrigerate 1-3 hours to cool and thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and beat until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust. Use a rubber spatula to form designs and peaks in the surface.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, or until meringue is kissed with golden brown.
- Cool away from any drafts for 2 hours. Then cover and refrigerate until serving. You may garnish with thinly sliced rounds of lemon if desired. Store in the refrigerator.