A little sour cream on your enchiladas or baked sweet potato? Sounds delicious! Rich, creamy, and dairy-free, this coconut sour cream is free of the chemicals and stabilizers found in commercial brands. It’s easy to make and an ideal topping for any savory indulgence. This tastes fantastic on Paleo Chicken Enchilada Casserole, or Shepherd’s Pie. Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Yield: 2/3 cup.
Coconut Sour Cream is Dairy-Free!
- 1 can thick full-fat unsweetened coconut milk, such as Native Forest
- 11/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 heaping teaspoon unprocessed salt
- Chill the coconut milk in the can overnight, or 3 to 4 hours, until it thickens into a lovely cream. (Better yet, keep a can in the fridge at all times!)
- Flip the can upside down, open it, and pour off the thin liquid to use in something else. Scrape out the thick cream. Add the lemon juice, vinegar, and salt.
- Whisk until smooth and serve. (If you want it perfectly lump free, process briefly with a mini-blender, immersion blender, or mixer.)
©Copyright Jane Barthelemy 2012
2 Replies to "Coconut Sour Cream, Dairy-Free!"
sandt December 23, 2022 (6:45 am)
Hi Jane, how long do you think this would keep in the fridge please and could it be frozen?
Wishing you and your family a great Xmas and a happy and healthy new year. Sandy
Jane Barthelemy December 23, 2022 (7:29 am)
Hi Sandt, Thanks for your comment. I’m guessing it would keep in the fridge for a few days. It’s a tough question to answer precisely as there are many factors. Yes, I do believe it could be frozen, but I’ve never tried to freeze it. So you’d be th first to try. Let us know! Best wishes for your delicious health! Jane