Try this authentic Tex-Mex dinner with turkey leftovers! Everyone loves its satisfying and slightly spicy flavor. I made it for a Santa Fe potluck dinner. It vanished and they were begging for more! No one could believe it’s gluten-free, grain-free, corn-free, GMO-free, organic, and dairy-free. Ha Ha! It’s easy to layer together in four parts: 1) spicy chicken, 2) grated veggies, 3) tomato sauce, and 4) blended coconut crust on top. Try it with my yummy Paleo Sour Cream, which is utterly dairy-free. Garnish with chopped cilantro. It’s mostly nightshade-free too, except for a bit of optional chili powder. BTW this recipe features my famous No-Tomato Sauce, or you can save time and use your favorite healthy tomato sauce. Yield: one 9 x 13-inch casserole. Serves 9 hungry Mexicans!
Hot out of the oven. OMG-smells tantalizing!
Serve with Paleo Sour Cream and chopped cilantro.
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken, organic or non-gmo
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon pure chipotle powder by Los Chileros
- 4 teaspoons chili powder, or “Chile Molido” by Los Chileros
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch cloves
- 2 tablespoons carob or cacao for color
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, in chunks
- 1/2 sweet potato, in coarse chunks
- 1 beet in coarse chunks
- 1 lemon, peeled, sliced and seeded
- 2 tablespoons dry oregano
- Unprocessed salt and pepper to taste
- filtered water
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder to taste
- 1 can thick full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 - 2 teaspoons unprocessed salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2/3 carrot, grated (for cheese color)
- 3/4 cup softened coconut butter (170 grams if hard)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Boil the water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken in large pieces and turn the heat down very low. Steam-cook the chicken for about 5 minutes or until it is almost cooked through. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Then cut it into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes or until the start to soften. Add the cooked chicken and spices. Cook briefly about 5 minutes and set aside.
- Grate the sweet potato and zucchini in a food processor with grating attachment, or using a box grater. Set aside
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce in a large saucepan. Add filtered water barely to cover. Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are quite soft. Taste it and adjust the seasoning to taste like a Mexican tomato sauce. Using a blender or immersion blender, liquefy the mixture until it is smooth and creamy.
- In a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients for the Crust.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan. Put the spicy chicken mixture in first and spread flat. Add the grated veggies. Pour the No-tomato Sauce evenly over the top and smooth flat. Pour the Cheesy Crust on top and spread flat. Bake for 45 minutes uncovered.
- Cool for 15 minutes. Serve with Paleo Sour Cream
“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing” George Bernard Shaw