This is probably the best recipe I ever created. Back in 2012 I was allergic to cheese. Since I LOVE Italian food, I was HIGHLY MOTIVATED to recreate the flavor of Parmigiano Reggiano! This is coconut cheese with a ZING! Grate it, slice it, or cut into chunks. Instead of dairy, it uses coconut butter, lemon, nutritional yeast, and optional Vitamin C for a sharp, aged cheese flavor.
BTW I lost my cheese allergy! I discovered I can tolerate dairy that’s organic, grass-fed, and unpasteurized. I can also tolerate raw milk. Since I don’t know ALL the chemicals used in diary farming, I just kept it simple. These days I have no allergic reactions if I stay away from chemical-infused, grain-fed, GMO-pesticide-fed and highly pasteurized dairy. Now I enjoy milk, cheese, and yogurt as long as it meets those criteria. Even though I can now tolerate dairy, I STILL love this coconut Parmesan cheese!
Yep. It is dairy-free and fabulicious! This Paleo vegan Parmesan cheese looks, tastes, slices and grates just like authentic Parmesan. Grate it on salads, stir it into soups, use it in Paleo Lasagna or Zucchini Spaghetti. OK, sprinkle it on everything! It’s very easy to make, just blend and chill. It freezes well and grates best when it is cool.
I suggest you follow this recipe EXACTLY the first time. After that, you will find it is fairly flexible and easy to vary. It’s important to keep it cold, as the coconut oil will soften in the heat of your hands. Store this no-dairy vegan Paleo Parmesan cheese in the refrigerator for about 5 days. Even better, store it in the freezer and bring it to the table ice cold with a micro-plane grater. Enjoy! Makes 1 1/2 cups.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, softened in warm water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (Yes, that’s right)
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin-C crystals (This is optional for a sharp cheese flavor. Look for "pure ascorbic acid" in powder or crystals in the supplements section of any healthy grocery)
- 1/2 teaspoon unprocessed salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted by putting the jar in lukewarm water, but not hot.
- In any style blender add lemon juice, coconut butter, nutritional yeast, Vitamin C, and salt. Blend well until smooth.
- Add the coconut oil last and blend again until smooth. It will be quite thick. Have patience and add a bit more lemon juice if you need more liquid. My blender did OK but I had to help it go around with the corner of my rubber spatula.
- Pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze until solid. Chilling in the refrigerator will also solidify it. Enjoy!
3 Replies to "Best Dairy-free Parmesan Cheese"
Nancye Smith October 29, 2021 (10:14 pm)
Did you like it?
Cheryl September 4, 2021 (11:00 am)
I am trying to convert a “regular” recipe to an AIP version and I need Parmesan cheese for it. Making this today and hoping it’s gonna fill the bill!
Jane Barthelemy September 12, 2021 (7:39 am)
Thanks Cheryl, Did you try it? How’d you like it?
Best regards, Jane