My friends go crazy for this amazing lasagna. With its rich layers and luscious flavors, every bite transports me to Italy. However I can’t eat wheat, cheese, or tomatoes. So this recipe uses zucchini strips, coconut ricotta filling, Vegan Parmesan Cheese, and No-Tomato Sauce. Or use your favorite tomato sauce. My friends prefer this Paleo Lasagna to the standard recipe because of it’s rich Italian flavor – so authentic no one believes it is alternative. I prepare the Vegan Parmesan Cheese and No-Tomato Sauce ahead of time and freeze them. Tomatoes are a nightshade plant, a common allergen – check out my post Beware of Nightshades. Makes one 9 x 9 pan. Serves 6 people.
- 3/4 cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese, chilled.
- 2 cups No Tomato Sauce, or your favorite tomato sauce.
- 1/4 cup thick canned full-fat coconut milk.
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or 2 large eggs if you eat eggs)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 lemon, peeled, sliced, seeded (2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste)
- Pinch unprocessed salt. (Go easy, as Vegan Parmesan Cheese is salty.)
- 2 large handfulls fresh basil. Then chopped.
- 3 medium zucchini
Vegan Ricotta filling
- Make Vegan Parmesan Cheese, chill well, and cut off a slab.
- Prepare No Tomato Sauce, or thaw it if you’ve made it ahead of time.
- In any style blender, (small is best) add coconut milk, eggs, coconut butter, nutritional yeast, nutmeg, lemon, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add basil after blending and stir in by hand so it's in large pieces.
- Wash zucchini and remove stems. Slice lengthwise in very thin 1/8-inch strips. It's easiest with a good vegetable peeler or mandolin slicer.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 9 baking pan. Arrange a single layer of zucchini slices to line the bottom of the pan.
- Pour a thin layer of No Tomato Sauce over the zucchini and spread it smooth. Sprinkle bits of Vegan Parmesan Cheese on top. (More is always better!) Pour a thin layer of Ricotta filling on top, and spread it smooth.
- Repeat this sequence twice, arranging a layer of zucchini slices, No-Tomato Sauce, Vegan Parmesan Cheese, and Ricotta Filling. Do not overfill the pan, or it will leak during baking. Top with slices of Vegan Parmesan Cheese and chopped basil. (Assemble this any way you want - it's hard to go wrong.)
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is gently browned but not burned. Allow to cool 20 minutes. Serve with Vegan Parmesan Cheese grated at the table. Buon appetito!
Vegan Parmesan Cheese:
No Tomato Sauce:
Vegan Ricotta Filling:
Assembly & Baking:
©Copyright Jane Barthelemy 2012
No Replies to "Best Paleo Lasagna"